Phlebotomic is a blog experiment that seeks to gather multiple perspectives around a common prompt, which is provided weekly.

Last week's prompt was "Beauty"...

This week's prompt is "Path"...

12 January 2009

Blue: how do you see the world?

Blue evoked a plethora of pathways for me to consider...3 years ago my bride took me to see the Blue Man Group for my birthday. That was certainly an experience. Then there's the soulical question of the 'tension' of seeing Christ-followers wrestle with depression and the host of inquiries that can raise. I thought also of the "collaboration cube" we use in staff meetings where the person offering up a dream-stage or raw-form concept is said to be "speaking in Blue Sky" mode. Pictures of Eeyore came to mind but I couldn't bear to write about a Winnie the Pooh character.

Then, my lovely wife said I should consider the guy who was Blue, lived in a blue house, blue world, drove a blue car because he would die if it was any other way.


"What the heck?" you might be thinking. I totally agree. Or, agreed, until I watched this video:




Bizarre? Certainly. Freakishly 1980s in style? Probably. Shockingly non-Sharrow-istic? Most definitely.

How often do we align ourselves to so many "hills to die on" that our vision is skewed as if we were wearing special colored glasses? We are so easily partisan, denominational, and context-centric that we scarcely can afford to see the day in front of us for what it is.

In the funky "blue" song, the main character is said to "die if the the anything was green...cuz everything in his mind is blue, since he has nobody he listens to..."

Certainly absolute objectivity is fairly unattainable for any person. Yet, there's something to be said for Paul's seemingly singular attachment - "I consider everything as rubbish except this ONE thing - Christ." It's not that positions and stands are to be insulted or discouraged, but an openness...really a freshness of vision for each day and situation. "What insight might I gain by this interaction? What blind spot is this situation challenging me on? What discovery lies ahead in this otherwise monotonously routine day? What's the real, root issue at play in this situation that may not be apparent by the presentation of symptoms?"

What allegiances are coloring your lenses? What spectrum bandwidth are you isolated to?

*this is an ode to the loss of Indigo from the spectrum listing. R.I.P. O great Roy G Biv...

4 comments:

  1. January 12, 1723. Jonathan Edwards gave himself to God with these words:

    I made a solemn dedication of myself to God, and wrote it down; giving up myself, and all that I had to God; to be for the future, in no respect, my own; to act as one that had no right to himself, in any respect. And solemnly vowed, to take God for my whole portion and felicity; looking on nothing else, as any part of my happiness, nor acting as if it were; and his law for the constant rule of my obedience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. there are so many colors around to see...

    so what color do you see when you close your eyes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see a starburst of reds, yellows, and greens. What does it mean?

    ReplyDelete
  4. you should take the highway more... too many traffic lights.

    ReplyDelete