Phlebotomic is a blog experiment that seeks to gather multiple perspectives around a common prompt, which is provided weekly.

Last week's prompt was "Beauty"...

This week's prompt is "Path"...

12 January 2009

Blue: Like Jazz

Some of you have probably already read "Blue Like Jazz" by Donald Miller.

If you are between the ages of 18-40, Miller's work will be particularly relevant and enlightening. This book will reintroduce you to the spiritual and will help you find your own voice in an age of abject spiritual conformity. I cannot stress enough that you need to read "Blue Like Jazz."

"Sting has this song where he says that he is alone on an island and puts a message in a bottle and throws it into the ocean, only to wake the next morning and have a hundred million bottles washed upon his shore. He sings "I guess I'm not alone at being alone," and I think that sums up how I feel about Blue Like Jazz. It feels like I thought I was alone but woke up one morning to discover nothing could be further from the truth." - Donald Miller

Also, For those of you who have issues with your fathers, I think you will find Miller's "To Own a Dragon" particularly good.

http://www.donaldmillerwords.com/

1 comment:

  1. free market jesus...

    i stumbled onto a video of miller (who i had always pictured as a wise willard-like sage) by that name. interesting.

    ReplyDelete