Phlebotomic is a blog experiment that seeks to gather multiple perspectives around a common prompt, which is provided weekly.

Last week's prompt was "Beauty"...

This week's prompt is "Path"...

12 January 2009

Blue: Subjectivity

Well now...this is interesting...
According to a Google search of definitions on the web, "blue" could mean anything from being "suggestive of sexual impropriety" to "morally rigorous and strict"
Really?! 
Sure, I know, context comes into play, and non-verbal communication at times...blah, blah...but really...what's up?
What happened to the good old days when blue was simply a color? Ok...so we use a color to describe a mood...cool. I get that...but which mood? We may use it to describe a brand of moral code...but opposites??!! 
This will quickly become meaningless rant...so let me just say...it is what it is, if it is to have any meaning at all. The word blue is unimportant in this context...but when we cross the line to say that moral code is subjective...or worse yet that truth is...i get lost in the endless waves of rationalization and justification. Couldn't it be that truth is not subjective...but simply that our understanding of truth is. Why do we have to explain whether truth is "truth" or "capital 'T' truth"?!
Someone told me once that "you shouldn't pass on your convictions to others, just let them discover their own"...I figured they just passed on conviction by saying so...
Someone else tells me that I am wrong to believe that there is only one God...that truth is in the mind of the holder...who am I to think I am right?! I wonder...what makes the "content" of their statement "truth"? I am not looking win an arguement so that I can feel like I am right...my life is hanging in the balance...if someone has the inside line on truth...I want to listen!! I have only found one so far...no one has convinced me more thoroughly than Christ.

Sheesh...round and round we go...no one wants an absolute...oh...wait a minute...except in physics! I tried that one in high school...truth was absolute there. Oh yeah...and in mathematics as well....i argued hard - and lost every time...

So...what makes me blue, is the fact that people all over the word will unplug themselves from their life source through ignorance, pride, guilt, apathy...etc...when love and grace is all they need to understand...

Which Blue?  Which one do you think?

1 comment:

  1. I believe it was good ole' Oswald Chambers who wittily said, "Don't make a fetish out of your own convictions." Interesting challenge.

    ReplyDelete